Upcoming Choral Auditions
The Seattle Chamber Singers will hold auditions for the 2019–2020 season on Saturday, August 24, from 1:00 to 4:00 pm at Faith Lutheran Church in Seattle. Singers of all voice types are encouraged to audition. For those unavailable on August 24, auditions may be scheduled individually by appointment as well.
The audition consists of three parts:
- A prepared vocal selection of 2–3 minutes. This could be an art song, aria, hymn, choral selection, or even something from the classical end of the music-theater spectrum. If you have questions or would like suggestions, our music director will be happy to help.
- Vocal warmups and listening exercises.
- Guided sight-singing.
To schedule an audition (either on August 24 or at another time), please write to email@example.com. For more information about the Seattle Chamber Singers, read below.
Upcoming Orchestral Auditions
Orchestra Seattle currently has openings for the following instruments:
- oboe and English horn
and is interested in hearing sub auditions for
- all string instruments
- French horn
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an audition. Instrumental auditions consist of a prepared selection of the candidate’s choosing, an orchestral excerpt (provided in advance) and sightreading. For more information about Orchestra Seattle, read below.
General Audition Information
Welcome, and thank you for your interest in auditioning for Orchestra Seattle or the Seattle Chamber Singers. OSSCS aims to be Seattle’s leading community-based classical music ensemble. OSSCS musicians come from all walks of life and from a variety of backgrounds. Our players and singers work in education, technology, business, law, medicine, the arts and the non-profit sector. Some are students, many are part-time or full-time musicians or music teachers. We all share a commitment to making music together as part of a dedicated artistic community.
OSSCS provides a special environment for making music:
- At our core, we consider ourselves a choral-orchestral performing ensemble. Most regular-season concerts include a major choral-orchestral work, allowing our musicians the opportunity to perform repertoire not easily accessible to other community groups in the region.
- Our orchestra and chorus also perform separately in symphonic and a cappella repertoire each season, providing our musicians a well-rounded musical experience.
- Each season we produce a subscription series of six to eight concerts, plus a three-concert chamber music series. As a result, our rehearsal cycles are shorter than those of most other community music groups, generally consisting of five rehearsals plus one dress rehearsal leading up to each concert. Performing more frequently (and with fewer rehearsals) helps us stay engaged and allows us to experience a broad range of styles and composers within a single season.
- While our performing members are volunteers, we work with professional conductors and soloists.
Our expectations for musicianship and participation are high but reasonable, and we are committed to welcoming and nurturing less experienced musicians when circumstances permit. We expect our musicians to come to rehearsals prepared, and to help create a positive, constructive atmosphere in rehearsals. We expect our members to commit to performing at most concerts each season and to be present at all rehearsals (but are flexible with occasional absences).
We invite anyone who might be interested in performing with us to send us an introductory e-mail message. We would be delighted to host you at a rehearsal and offer a complimentary pair of tickets to one of our concerts so that you can see what how we work together and decide if you would like to schedule an audition.
Seattle Chamber Singers
The Seattle Chamber Singers offers choral singers the unique opportunity to perform several concerts a season in combination with a full orchestra. We perform oratorio repertoire from the Baroque to the present day, as well as a cappella and chamber works, sometimes in collaboration with other musical organizations throughout the Seattle region.
If you are interested in joining the Seattle Chamber Singers, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and we will provide further information about scheduling an audition with our music director. Interested singers are always welcome to observe a rehearsal or a performance (for which we will provide a complimentary pair of tickets.)
SCS rehearsals take place Tuesday evenings from 7:30 to 10:00 p.m at Faith Lutheran Church in Seattle’s Maple Leaf neighborhood.
Orchestra Seattle offers orchestral musicians the unique opportunity to perform several concerts a season in combination with a full chorus. We perform oratorio repertoire alongside orchestra-only symphonic works, sometimes in collaboration with other musical organizations throughout the Seattle region.
Orchestra Seattle currently has openings for oboe and English horn,and welcomes inquiries from people interested in being on our substitute list, especially French horn, trumpet, percussion and all string instruments. Our permanent members sometimes need to miss rehearsals or entire concert cycles, and our repertoire often requires additional players, so substitutes are very valuable to us and are sometimes able to join us permanently when openings arise.
If you are interested in joining Orchestra Seattle, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will provide further information about scheduling an audition with our music director. Interested instrumentalists are always welcome to observe a rehearsal or a performance (for which we will provide a complimentary pair of tickets.)
OS rehearsals take place Wednesday evenings from 7:30 to 10:00 p.m. at Shorecrest High School in Shoreline.
OSSCS does not discriminate based on race/ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, socioeconomic status, geography, citizenship status or religion.